INDIANAPOLIS — Even with its biggest shows taking place at Bankers Life Fieldhouse this year, the Indiana State Fair will have more concerts and shows than ever. Most of this entertainment will be on the Free Stage, a permanent stage in the northwest corner of the fairgrounds that can accommodate about 5,000 fans.
Rock legends REO Speedwagon will take the Free Stage on Aug. 6 to play songs spanning their 40-year career, including hits from their iconic album "Hi Infidelity." The band sold more than 40 million records worldwide and charted 13 Top 40 hits, including "Keep on Loving You" and "Take it on the Run."
Along with classic rock, the Free Stage is the place to hear country, hip-hop, and contemporary Christian music as well. On Aug. 8, break-out country artist Easton Corbin will play hits like "Roll With It." On Aug. 13, hip-hop artist MC Hammer, who has sold more than 50 million records worldwide, will energize the crowd with "Can't Touch This" and other popular tunes. On Aug. 14, Sandi Patty and David Crowder will perform their many contemporary Christian hits in two separate shows.
The Free Stage will also feature several interactive shows. Aug. 12-13, the Ohmies will get children on their feet as they sing and dance with Bella Butterfly, Carlin Caterpillar, and all their friends. On Aug. 10, Food Network star Bobby Deen will answer audience questions at 4:30 p.m. Celebrity hypnotist Catherine Hickland will put volunteer audience members into a trance Aug. 15-17.
These shows are free with fair admission. Here is the complete list of Free Stage concerts and events:
- Aug. 3: King Michael - A Glorious Tribute to the King of Pop (6 and 8 p.m.)
- Aug. 4: AllStar Weekend (7 p.m.)
- Aug. 5: Hispanic Music Day (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
- Aug. 6-11: Mapapa African Acrobats (10 a.m., 11:30 a.m., and 1 p.m.)
- Aug. 6: REO Speedwagon (7 p.m.)
- Aug. 7: Young Guns of Country, presented by HANK FM, with Greg Bates and Tyler Farr (7 p.m.)
- Aug. 8: Easton Corbin, presented by HANK FM (7 p.m.)
- Aug. 9: The Spinners (7 p.m.)
- Aug. 10: WFMS pres. JT Hodges, The Lost Trailers, and a special guest (7 p.m.)
- Aug. 11: Action Item (4 p.m.)
- Aug. 11: Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band (8 p.m.)
- Aug. 12-13: The Ohmies (9:30 and 11 a.m. Aug. 12; 10 a.m., noon, and 2 p.m. Aug. 13)
- Aug. 12: Contemporary Christian Music Day featuring Sanctus Real, Big Daddy Weave, and 3union (2-9 p.m.)
- Aug. 13: MC Hammer (7 p.m.)
- Aug. 14: Sandi Patty (4 p.m.)
- Aug. 14: David Crowder (7 p.m.)
- Aug. 15-17: Catherine Hickland, hypnotist (10 a.m., noon, and 2 p.m. Aug. 15 and 16; 10 a.m. and noon Aug. 17)
- Aug. 15: Thomas Rhett, presented by HANK FM (7 p.m.)
- Aug. 16: Ted Nugent (7 p.m.)
- Aug. 17: "Britbeat" Beatles Tribute Band (3, 5:30, and 8 p.m.)
- Aug. 18: WFMS presents Texaco Country Showdown (3 p.m.)
- Aug. 18: Casey James, presented by WFMS (7 p.m.)
- Aug. 19: Pepsi Gospel Music Day (2-9 p.m.)
For more information, visit the website IndianaStateFair.com.